Some Interesting Facts About Italy, Its People and Its History
- Rome is further North than New York City. New York City is about the same latitude as Naples Italy.
- In Rome and Naples, it only snows briefly once every several years, unlike New York City and its suburbs!
- The Pizza Margherita was invented in Naples in 1889 to honor Italy's Queen Margherita of Savoy upon her visit to the city.
- Pizza is one of the very few words which is understood in virtually every part of the world and in all cultures.
- Italy is only slightly larger than Arizona.
- Italy borders with six sovereign States - Austria, France, Slovenia, Switzerland, San Marino and Vatican City. Its longest border is with Switzerland.
- The name of measurement of electricity – the volt, is named for Alessandro Volta, who invented the first battery in 1779.